Shh...Mum is Thinking

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Homeschooling tag

Thanks to Sharon at http://thefamilyvoyage.blogspot.com/ for tagging me :-) Homeschooling...one of my favourite subjects!

1) ONE HOMESCHOOLING BOOK YOU HAVE ENJOYED

Homeschooling the Child With Asperger Syndrome: Real Help for Parents Anywhere and on Any Budget by Lise Pyles. I read this before we started working on kindergarten curriculum three years ago. I didn’t find it useful so much for curriculum information or ideas, but simply reading the variety of approaches to home education gave me a sense of confidence as we started. I think I needed that extra encouragement towards flexibility and adapting towards my son’s needs rather than following a set curriculum or school of thought, especially at the beginning. I was entering uncharted territory and needed to hear there was no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to do this, only things that worked for us or didn’t.

2) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULDN’T BE WITHOUT

I’m tempted to say food colouring simply because we seem to go through buckets of the stuff for science experiments, playdough and other crafts!
Honestly, there’s not one resource we rely on very heavily. We get more use out of practical household items than any specially bought materials. Things we use daily: calendar, table clock, buttons for counters, wall maps, measuring cups and jugs, measure tapes and rulers. Stuff everyone has lurking somewhere about the house, basically.

3) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH YOU HAD NEVER BOUGHT

The set of flashy workbooks that are supposed to follow our state curriculum. Each page is brightly coloured and has lots of visual pizzazz, which is probably why my son hates them with a passion. We didn’t use them long and went back to the more humdrum books we’d used before. Same curriculum but easier on the eyes.

4) ONE RESOURCE YOU ENJOYED LAST YEAR

The books from enchantedlearning.com we printed out for our China studies were a huge hit with my son. He has such a passion for anything Chinese that he actually started reading and writing with more enthusiasm at that point. He loved trying to paint the Chinese characters for different words, too! We need to revisit Chinese studies sometime soon, methinks.

5) ONE RESOURCE YOU WILL BE USING NEXT YEAR

Our local swim centre for swimming and karate lessons.

6) ONE RESOURCE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BUY

A telescope.

7) ONE RESOURCE YOU WISH EXISTED

A place to download all the basic wall poster stuff. Like good maps of the continents with countries, pie charts, days of week, alphabet, months, counting in different languages, etc etc. You can find those things in different places if you look, or you can make your own but it would be nice to have them all in one place, easy to find, easy to print out.

8) ONE HOMESCHOOLING CATALOGUE YOU ENJOY READING

I must be hopelessly out of the loop LOL--I’ve never seen or heard of a homeschooling catalogue.

9) ONE HOMESCHOOLING WEBSITE YOU USE REGULARLY

We visit a LOT of different educational websites, I wouldn’t even know where to begin narrowing the list down to just one! So I’ll pass on the two resources I’ve found recently, in case someone else enjoys them as much as we have (these are both downloadable programs):

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/ My kids are in love with this program!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/prehistoric_life/games/dinosaur_world/
The BBC site in general is a fantastic resource. PBS. ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) And so many others. Oh my. SO many!

10) TAG FIVE OTHER HOMESCHOOLERS

Well, I don’t know who to tag! So I’ll just leave an open invitation to any homeschoolers out there, please, share with us! Leave a note in my comments section if you like…it’ll be fun!

By the way, I’ve turned on comments moderation for the time being. I hope ya’ll don’t mind…it’s just that I’m not too excited by the recent visit by ‘Mad Dog’ John Best JR--and after I posted my curbie kit, too (see my May 21, 2006 posting “No This Ain’t Your Playground”).

Some people just don’t get the hint, eh?

Guess we need more garlic.

1 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, August 24, 2006, Blogger Sharon said...

I like your list! I know what you mean about realising that there are many ways to home-educate, and how great it feels to discover you don't have to follow any set path. I think it will take on very different forms for each of my 3 children.
As for workbooks, I can't see Duncan ever taking to those! So far, I have had to write stuff out specifically for him.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home